Season ends on the road for four local teams

Published 11:45 pm Friday, November 8, 2013

Tyrik Norris cashed in on a Bishop overthrow, nabbing his fifth interception of the season.

With a short field, Horn directed a quick scoring drive, which culminated in a 17-yard strike to Bookie Ford in the right corner of the endzone.

Setting up shop at Chilton County’s 21-yard line, Benjamin Russell (10-1) did not take long to turn another Tigers miscue into points as LaBrenikin Johnson sliced up the gut of the Tigers’ defense for a 21-yard touchdown.

A Horn pass intended for Marquis Odem sailed above Odem’s reach, and Cade Hatch snagged the errant throw, returning it 37 yards for a pick-six and putting Chilton County (5-6) back into the contest.

It took 23 seconds for the Wildcats to put the Tigers right back out of it, as Horn directed a two-play, 73-yard drive that ended in a 20-yard touchdown toss to Rod Hunter.

After forcing a Chilton County punt, the Wildcats became the beneficiaries of a kick catch interference that set up the offense at the 28-yard line.

Three plays later, Chase Burton punched it in from four yards out, making the game 28-7 at the half.

The Wildcats put together an 11-play, 66-yard drive that was capped by a 18-yard pitch and catch from Horn to Hunter which put the Wildcats up 35-7.

Chilton County refused to quit, but penalties wiped away some of their more productive plays. A 32-yard gain was called back due to a hold, forcing the Tigers to punt from deep in their own territory. The Wildcats answered in short order, putting together a four-play drive from the Tigers’ 36-yard line to find paydirt again, this time thanks to Horn finding Johnson on a 16-yard wheel route, which made the game 41-7.

Horn capped his night—and the scoring—with a 23-yard touchdown pass to Bobby Tapley. From there, the clock ran out on Chilton County’s season.

–Ed Bailey, The Alex City Outlook

Mustangs’ season ends at Fyffe

Isabella’s season came to an end with a 56-30 loss at Fyffe in the first round of the Class 1A state playoffs.

Fyffe (10-1) opened the scoring with an 80-yard touchdown run, but Isabella (7-4) responded with a Tyler Smith 1-yard scoring plunge that was set up by a 49-yard scamper by DeRodgus Campbell.

The first quarter ended with the score knotted at 7-all, but Fyffe began to pull away in the second quarter, scoring all three times it had possession of the ball to lead 28-7 at halftime.

IHS cut the lead to 14 points with a 3-yard touchdown run by Jacob Carroll in the third quarter, but Fyffe returned the ensuing kickoff for a touchdown.

Then, the Mustangs gave away their next possession on a lost fumble, leading to a Fyffe touchdown and a 42-14 lead.

Smith would add two more rushing touchdowns, from 36 yards and 3 yards, but it wasn’t enough for Isabella to threaten the lead.

–From Staff Reports

Bears’ comeback bid falls short

Billingsley lost at St. Luke’s 21-20, despite a valiant comeback attempt.

The Bears (8-3) trailed 14-0 at halftime, thanks in part to an interception returned for a touchdown.

St. Luke’s made it 21-0 with a score on its first possession of the second half, but then the Bears woke from their hibernation.

Thomas Nichols connected with Dalton Davis for a 10-yard touchdown pass with 5:25 remaining in the third quarter. The point-after was no good.

Just about 1 minute later, Mason Friday caused a fumble that was recovered by Jeffery Carroll and returned for a touchdown.

Jayterious Steele ran in the 2-point conversion to make the score 21-14.

With about 7 minutes left to play in the game, Nichols ran 12 yards for a score to pull Billingsley within one point of the lead, but a 2-point conversion attempt was unsuccessful.

Terrance Nolen rushed 13 times for 53 yards, while Nichols completed 11 passes in 22 attempts for 139 yards.

Rashaud Caver caught four passes for 39 yards and tallied a team-high 11 tackles.

–From Staff Reports