Walnut Creek: History in the making
The history of Walnut Creek United Methodist Church predates the modern Methodist Church some 140 years.
Founded in 1820 as a Methodist Episcopal Church, the original church was described as a rectangular log structure with musket ports for use in the event of hostile Indians.
Walnut Creek was a political and social hub for well over a century, as many of the area’s leading politicians were members there. Perhaps the greatest example of this was in 1869, when the church hosted the first circuit court session of Chilton County, then the newly formed Baker County.
The original log structure was replaced by a white frame building in 1875, and several subsequent structures followed until a 1930s-era brick building was remodeled into its present form in 1967. Just a year later, Walnut Creek became a United Methodist church upon the denomination’s formation.
Nearly 40 years later in 2007, the church celebrated the opening of its newest facility, which sits across from the historic brick building on County Road 458.
Sunday will mark yet another milestone for Walnut Creek, which will celebrate its first homecoming to be held in the new building.
The service will begin at 10:30 a.m. with local gospel artists Stacy Adams and Holy Destiny bringing worship in song.
“After 187 years, we moved across the street,” jokes Church Pastor Tony Hughes, who says Walnut Creek’s best days are still to come. “We’re moving forward for the Lord and would like for everyone to join us.”
Hughes and the church’s congregation and staff especially invite former members who haven’t been in a few years to come and see their new place of worship.
For more information about homecoming or other questions about Walnut Creek, please contact Duane Jones at 755-3112.
Note: Historical information in this story was obtained from “Chilton County and her People: A Brief History” by Thomas Eugene Wyatt. It was compiled by Colin Moatts specifically for the church.
– Scott Mims can be contacted at email@example.com.