Archived Story

No one injured in fire claiming Clanton home June 11

Published 5:27pm Monday, June 17, 2013

A fire on June 11 claimed the Clanton home Sacoria McCary and her family were renting, along with all of their belongings.

McCary said she and her family were asleep when her 3-year-old son Kavion McCary ran into her bedroom at about 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, June 11, to tell her he had seen smoke in his bedroom.

“He came waking me, screaming, telling me he saw smoke,” McCary said. “We barely made it out, but we made it. We lost everything.”

Enterprise Volunteer Fire & Rescue responded to the fire and indicated on McCary’s incident report that the home was fully engulfed in flames by the time rescue personnel arrived.

McCary said they are unsure how or where the fire started but noticed the smoke Kavion saw in his bedroom seemed to be coming from the ceiling.

“We really don’t know where it started,” McCary said. “We had never had any electrical problems.”

All four family members—McCary, her 5-month-old daughter Kiyah Booker, McCary’s boyfriend Kelvin Booker Jr. and Kavion McCary—were able to exit the house and escape the fire with no injuries.

The family is staying at Shoney’s Inn while they look for another place to live. McCary said the American Red Cross paid for three nights of their stay immediately after the fire, but the family must pay out-of-pocket for the remainder of their stay at the Inn.

McCary said she procured extra

The family has established a relief fund under the name Kelvin T. Booker Jr. at Peoples Southern Bank in downtown Clanton.

People may make monetary donations to the fund indefinitely as no deadline has been set for the fund’s availability.

All proceeds from the fund will go to Sacoria McCary and her family.

Print Friendly

Editor's Picks