County to seek attorney general’s opinion on fire department fundingBy Emily Etheredge Published 4:04pm Tuesday, April 23, 2013
“This is going to take some time to hear back from him about what he says,” Caton said. “This won’t be a quick thing and will take some time.”
Commissioners addressed issues they have heard regarding Chilton County Information Systems technician Matt Taylor.
Caton told Taylor he had received several complaints from workers in the courthouse regarding Taylor’s performance on the job.
“People say they call you to come fix their computer or something else and you won’t return their calls,” Caton said. “We pay you a lot of money and we expect you to do your job.”
Taylor told Caton he had not received any complaints and thought if people had an issue with him they would tell him directly.
“Well, they aren’t telling you directly, they are telling us about the complaints,” Caton said. Caton requested an executive session for a pending legal matter dealing with courthouse security. After commissioners met in executive session for more than 30 minutes, the commission resumed with commissioners unanimously voting for Caton to check into “issues” as soon as possible.
In other news, the commission:
• Unanimously voted to move forward with a county recycling plan with Bibb County and appointed county litter agent Libby Ratliff in charge of the Chilton County side of the program.
• Passed a resolution to allow the Chilton County Road Department to have business hours of 6 a.m.- 2:30 p.m. during the summer months and resume 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. when the time changes in the fall.
• Passed a resolution to allow Pleasant Grove Church to close a portion of the road near the church temporarily until a project is completed.
• Gave permission for a sign to be purchased for Higgins Ferry Park from C&C Trophy and Signs for $300.
•Scheduled a work session for April 29 to discuss weather sirens and projects to complete using money from the new Capital Improvement Fund.
• Welcomed commissioner Tim Mims back (at the beginning of the meeting) after Mims has been absent for more than a month after being in the hospital.