The Clanton Advertiser wins 16 APA awards
Published 4:22 pm Wednesday, June 28, 2023
By Carey Reeder | Managing Editor
The Clanton Advertiser captured 16 awards in the 2023 Alabama Press Association Media Awards contest. The awards were recognized and presented at the APA Summer Convention AMA Banquet on June 24 in Orange Beach.
Of the 16 awards, 14 were in the editorial category and four were first place awards including Best Local Education Coverage and Best Layout and Design by managing editor Carey Reeder and former managing editor Joyanna Love. Reeder also won first place in Best Local Sports Column for “Alabama roars again in Talladega,” and Love won first place in Best Public Service for “The importance of voting.”
Marketing consultant Zack Bates earned two awards in the advertising category — second place for Best Single Ad over ½ page, color and third place for Best Single Ad over ½ page, black and white.
The Clanton Advertiser also earned third place in general excellence in division B and second place in Best Newspaper Website for “www.clantonadvertiser.com.”
Stories and newspapers from Jan 1, 2022 to Dec. 31, 2022 can be entered into the awards contest. Divisions are broken down by the number of times the newspaper is published each week and the number of people in its circulation. The Clanton Advertiser competed in division B this year with daily newspapers who publish two or more days per week with a total paid circulation of 9,999 people or below.
Everyone at The Clanton Advertiser thanks all of its readers and those in the Chilton County community for making these awards possible and for supporting local journalism.
Awards won by The Clanton Advertiser includes:
- First place for Best Local Education Coverage by Carey Reeder and Joyanna Love
- First place for Best Layout and Design by Carey Reeder and Joyanna Love
- First place for Best Local Sports Column for “Alabama roars again in Talladega” by Carey Reeder
- First place for Best Public Service for “The importance of voting” by Joyanna Love
- Second place for Best Sports News In-Depth Coverage for “Martin honored as one of 50 legends at banquet” by Carey Reeder
- Second place for Best Lifestyle/Family Pages by Carey Reeder and Joyanna Love
- Second place for Best Single Ad over ½ page, color for “Breast Cancer Pink Ribbon Page” by Zack Bates
- Second place in Best Newspaper Website for “www.clantonadvertiser.com”
- Second place for Best Editorial Column or Commentary for “Each person is a vital piece” by Joyanna Love
- Second place for FOI-First Amendment Award for “The importance of voting” by Joyanna Love
- Third place in General Excellence
- Third place for Best Single Ad over ½ page, black and white for “City of Clanton” by Zack Bates
- Third place for Best Production and Printing by Chris Love, Michael Turner, Jordan Crumpton, Nathan Carter, Retha Liveoak, Erica Kine
- Third place for Best Business Story or Column for “From skeptic to success: Ricky Vengas shares his boiled peanuts story” by Joyanna Love
- Third place for Best Headline for “Students prepping for hot career keeping community cool” by Joyanna Love
- Third place for Best Special Section — Newsprint for “Progress 2022: Centers of Community” by Carey Reeder and Joyanna Love