Commission honors Smith and family
Published 1:33 pm Wednesday, December 14, 2022
By Carey Reeder | Staff Writer
The Chilton County Commission honored the late Curtis Smith at its Dec. 13 meeting. Curtis Smith passed away on Oct. 29 and was a prominent member in the Chilton County community touching many different souls throughout his 89-year life. Forty-second District Representative Van Smith read and presented a letter signed by the Alabama State House commemorating Curtis Smith’s life of service. Smith served 20 years in the State Legislature as a representative among the many prominent roles he held throughout his life.
Van Smith presented the letter to Curtis Smith’s wife Mary Marjorie Smith and son’s Greg and Andy Smith.
The Commission held the third meeting for nominations for the Chilton Medical Center Property Board. Matthew Mims nominated Mark McKinnon, and there were no other nominations. The Commission approved McKinnon unanimously.
The Commission unanimously approved sending out quotes for county employee uniforms and signage for county vehicles. The uniforms would be for the road department employees or anyone having to go onto a resident’s property. The uniforms and signage would make city employees and vehicles easily identifiable out in the community.
Samples of the uniforms will be brought in first, so employees can test them out before making a final decision.
The commission approved a resolution to allow volunteer fire departments access to all propane infrastructure as long as they provide the propane. A fire department asked to use the propane tank at the storm shelter, and Commission Chairman Jimmie Hardee suggested allowing all future departments access if they so wish.
Also, during the meeting, the Commission:
- Approved Havyn Parris and Brian Collins as full-time corrections officers with the sheriff’s office.
- Approved the resignation of Rick Gregg and Bernie Minor from the road department to hire one truck driver and one laborer from the existing applicant pool.
- Approved emergency hire Corliss Date in the litter department and a request to advertise and hire for a replacement laborer.
- Approved pursuing a cooperative effort with the city of Clanton to secure a grant of $150,000 for the county and city firing range.
- Approved Hardee to sign a lighting agreement that would place flood lighting at the Chilton County Public Safety Building.