Chilton County DHR needs sponsors to spread Christmas cheer to foster children
Published 3:51 pm Tuesday, November 1, 2022
From Staff Reports
Chilton County DHR is once again seeking Christmas sponsors for foster children in the county.
According to DHR director Marilyn Colson, there are currently 129 children in foster care. She explained that these are not all the same children who were in care last year. There is good news because 76 children did achieve permanency in the last year either through retuning home, being placed with relatives or by being adopted. In fiscal 2020-2021, 14 children were adopted by their foster parents
Although the state of Alabama does provide for the essential living needs of these children and the foster parents also sacrifice their time and resources, help is needed from the local community to provide for special events and needs, such as Christmas. Colson said the Chilton County community has always overwhelmingly supported this effort.
“We want to make Christmas as special and magical for our foster children as it is for children who will be able to spend the holiday with their own families,” said Leigh Ann Boddie, who is again coordinating the Christmas Wishes project this year.”
The project began in early October, but a number of children remain to be sponsored. The deadline to contribute is Dec. 9.
Those who would like to participate in the Christmas Wishes project can do so by :
- Sponsoring the wishes of a specific child
- Purchasing gift cards for teen gifts
- Making a financial donation to the Foster Children’s Fund and DHR can shop for you.
(Donations are only used for the needs of foster children.)
Community members ca sponsor a child by doing one of the following:
- Call DHR at 205-258-4914. Leave a message and your call will be returned.
- Or email email@example.com
- Mail a contribution made payable to the Foster Children’s Fund to DHR P.O. Box 1699, Clanton, AL
- Bring a contribution to the agency on Health Center Drive across from the Health Department.
DHR is most thankful for all the help that the Chilton County Community provides in shining the Light of Hope into the lives of these children.