Damaging winds predicted for Chilton Wednesday
Published 10:46 am Tuesday, March 29, 2022
By JOYANNA LOVE | Managing Editor
Severe weather is being predicted for Wednesday, March 30 with winds of up to 80 miles per hour expected between 8 p.m. and 2 a.m. March 31.
Meteorologist Holly Allen with the National Weather Service in Birmingham said 70 to 80 mile per hour winds are the same speeds generated by a weak tornado.
“We have seen damage to manufactured homes with weak tornadoes, so this would be no different,” Allen said.
Wind gusts of up to 45 miles per hour are expected throughout Wednesday afternoon.
Those living in manufactured homes need to seek shelter prior to the storm. Storm shelters throughout the county typically open for tornado watches and are open when the county is under a tornado warning.
Having multiple ways to receive weather updates is strongly encouraged. Allen said having at least two ways to receive information is important. The Chilton County 911 app is one resource for receiving alerts.
With this storm, Allen said severe thunderstorm warnings need to be treated with the same level of concern and precaution as a tornado.
Allen said any outdoor furniture and other items that are not secured need to be moved inside ahead of the storm.
Buildings with previous damage or other structural weakness are most susceptible to damage.
“Wind will use that as an advantage, and it could cause further damage to your home,” Allen said.
One and a half to two inches of rain is also expected for Chilton County with this storm.
A map of the county’s storm shelters is available at A map of the county’s storm shelters is available at chilton911.org/storm-shelter-map.
Chilton County Storm Shelters
- Verbena: 3885 U.S. Highway 31, Verbena
- Isabella: 1960 County Road 29, Maplesville
- Enterprise: 6162 County Road 24, Verbena
- Enterprise Fire Station #2: 3255 County Road 49, Clanton
- Maplesville: 189 Railroad Street, Maplesville
- West Chilton: 250 County Road 42, Jemison
- Gap of the Mountain: 768 County Road 55, Clanton
- Higgins Ferry Park, 11161 County Road 28, Clanton
- East Chilton: 5640 County Road 28, Clanton
- Union Grove: 10896 County Road 51, Clanton
- Fairview Fire Department: 9597 County Road 37, Clanton
- Clanton City Park: 309 5th Avenue North
- West End: 411 14th Street South, Clanton
- Lomax: 3824 Old Henry Road, Clanton
- Chilton County Transit: 520 Enterprise Road, Clanton (behind building)
- San Bentley Park: 355 Alabama Avenue, Thorsby
- Collins Chapel Fire Department: 13195 County Road 29, Clanton
- Union Grove Fire Station: 18050 County Road 42, Jemison
- Cedar Grove Fire Station #1: 2245 County Road 37, Thorsby
- Cedar Grove Fire Station #2: 950
- New Convert: 861 County Road 380, Maplesville