Clanton approves reserve officer updates
Published 12:49 pm Tuesday, May 11, 2021
By JOYANNA LOVE/ Managing Editor
The Clanton City Council unanimously approved updates to the reserve officer program operating procedures and funding for uniforms during its May 10 meeting.
In the past, reserve officers have had to pay for their own uniforms or conduct fundraisers.
The motion creates a fund of $7,800 for 10 reserve positions, which gives each officer $780 uniform allowance.
Unanimous approval was also given for a retail liquor license for Maddogs Grill.
The first reading of a draft beer ordinance was removed from the agenda. Mayor Jeff Mims said the request has passed the state Senate and House of Representatives, but it is still awaiting the signature of Gov. Kay Ivey.
Community members Greg and Terry Nobles addressed the council asking that the deeds to property from a road that had been abandoned by the city be drawn up for the adjoining property owners. Mims said since the city was giving the residents on the road the land, they should pay for the deeds to be processed.
“I don’t think it is the city’s place to do it,” Mims said.
Council members agreed. Council member Wade Watley expressed concern of the precedent that paying to have the deeds processed would set.
The Nobles said they had been told by someone working for the former city attorney that he would take care of it. However, it was determined that this person did not have authority to speak on behalf of the city.
The road was officially abandoned by the city in 2017.
Also during the meeting, the Council:
- Declared May 16-22 as National Public Works Week in Clanton.
- Recognized Gary and Angie Godwin for their service to the community as the owners of ACME Building Supply and their retirement.
- Approved an updated financial management policy.
- Authorized another person to sign paychecks.
- Added a depositor to its accounts.
- Paid the bill for trash transport. Mims said he is researching the possibility of Clanton joining a solid waste authority in cooperation with some other governments in the region.