County Commission enters project on CR-17
By ZACHARY SEIFTER/ Staff Writer
The Chilton County Commission passed a resolution on April 27 to enter into a project with the state of Alabama to replace two bridges and pave the road on County Road 17.
The resolution passed by a vote of 5-0. Commission Chairman Joseph Parnell, as well as Commissioners Joe Headley, Matthew Mims, Jimmie Hardee and Allen Williams voted in favor of the resolution. Commissioners Randell Kelley and Darrell Bone were not present at the meeting.
The agreement has the state paying 75% of the cost of the project while the county would be responsible for the other 25%. An initial estimate priced the project at $1.9 million, costing the county $450,000. However, a second estimate done by the Alabama Department of Transportation came in at a cost of $2.6 million for the project, according to Chilton County Engineer Tony Wearren. If that estimate turned out to be the actual bid price, the county would be responsible for paying $650,000, paid across four years.
The original offer to the county was to pay its portion across three years, but should the bid price go over $2 million, ALDOT has agreed to allow the county a fourth year to pay its portion of the repairs.
There was initial pause from some of the commissioners over the possible increase in the cost of the repairs, but they all quickly agreed it was in the best interest of the county to move forward with the agreement after Parnell gave his thoughts on the offer.
“We’re getting some of Tony’s worst assets off of his list that we’re eventually going to have to do anyway,” Parnell said. “At a 75% max with the governor, versus her walking away from it and us later having to do that on our own.”
Also discussed at the meeting was an update from attorney Roger Bates on progress made with issues concerning the farm center. Concerns from Williams over the IDA were also discussed.
The Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH) has received final guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)... read more