VHS back to class after lockdown lifted
Published 9:51 am Friday, March 12, 2021
By JOYANNA LOVE/ Managing Editor
The lockdown at Verbena High School’s main campus has been lifted.
The school had been on lockdown after a bomb threat was found written in the bathroom.
Throughout the ordeal, students were safe.
Chilton County Schools Superintendent Jason Griffin said law enforcement and the school will continue to investigate who may have written the threatening message.
Such a threat is a crime, regardless of intent to carry it out.
If school administration finds the person who wrote the threat, disciplinary action would be taken, Griffin said.
He added that this would be separate from any legal consequences.
Chilton County Schools and the Chilton County Sheriff’s Office have released the following statement about the incident:
“At approximately 8:38 AM. Our Verbena SRO was notified of a bomb threat written on a bathroom wall within the school. The school immediately followed procedures to evacuate the school and notified the proper command staff. All students are in a safe location at this time. The school is still under lock down. Meaning, there will be no check outs as well. We will notify once the all clear is giving.”
The school system treats all threats as viable and takes appropriate action.