Clanton Fire to apply for grant
Published 11:29 am Tuesday, February 9, 2021
By JOYANNA LOVE/ Managing Editor
The Clanton Fire Department will be pursuing funding to update equipment, following a vote by the Clanton City Council giving approval to apply for a grant.
The vote took place during the Feb. 8 voting session.
Fire Chief David Driver said the grant would be to replace the 32 self-contained breathing apparatus the department uses that have become outdated. The units cost approximately $7,400 each. If the department is awarded the grant, the city would only be required to pay 5% of the cost. The grant would cover 95%.
Also during the meeting the Council:
- Approved contribution of $41,318 to Chilton County E-911.
- Officially declared the District 3 seat vacant. Council members will likely make recommendations for someone to fill the position at the next City Council meeting.
- Declared a vacancy on the waterworks and sewer board.
- Approved an alcohol sale license for Mitchell Package Store.
- Approved an ordinance to reflect the recent organization changes impacting the city clerk’s job description and reaffirming the mayor’s administrative authority.
- Renewed a lease agreement with a billboard company that has a billboard on city-owned property.