Animal Shelter releases annual report
From the Human Society of Chilton County
The Human Society of Chilton County has released its annual report for 2020.
The HSCC received 1,687 animals during 2020:
- 1,195 were owner surrenders (71%) (Remember, if you cannot afford the necessary medical care, food and housing for a pet then please do not get one.)
- 162 were adopted (10%)
- 25 died in shelter (1%)
- 217 were euthanized due to fatal illnesses/injuries or aggression (1% canines, 35% felines, 13% overall euthanasia percentage)
- 16 were returned to their owner (1%)
- 1,121 were rescued (66%)
- 146 remained in shelter (9%)
Breakdown by jurisdiction as follows: DOGS CATS OTHER
- Billingsley: 38 25
- Chilton County: 60 27
- Clanton: 861 345 1
- Jemison: 239 46
- Maplesville: 83 19
- Marbury: 12 4
- Montevallo: 55 5
- Out of County: 41 23
- Thorsby: 145 36
- Verbena: 153 67
- Chilton County (includes all areas of the county outside of the municipalities) pays $2,500 monthly; therefore, reimbursed the shelter $78.33 per animal.
- Clanton pays $11,125 quarterly; therefore, reimbursed the shelter $36.87 per animal.
- Jemison pays $1,500 quarterly; therefore, reimbursed the shelter $21.05 per animal.
- Thorsby pays $875 quarterly; therefore, reimbursed the shelter $19.34 per animal.
- Maplesville has chosen not to pay the shelter; therefore, reimbursed the shelter $0 per animal.
- Out of County – the individual bringing in the animal pays the shelter $40 per animal.
The HSCC began Jan. 1, 2020 with $17,812.53 and ended with $40,047.98 on Dec. 31, 2020. The shelter received a loan from the Paycheck Protection Program, for which we are so very grateful and owe thanks for our financial status. To date, COVID-19 has stopped our in-person fundraisers which we depend on for operating funds.
Our volunteers and supporters are amazing and always come through when needed. Rescues and their coordinators are out-of-this-world wonderful and we would not make it without them.
Those interested in volunteering as a foster for an animal can call the shelter at 205-755-9170 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recurring monetary donations can be made to the shelter through PayPal email@example.com.
If everyone gave a little monthly, it would be of great help to us (especially not being able to have fundraisers due to COVID-19).