CCS additional e-learning days, Wi-Fi locations approved
By JOYANNA LOVE/ Managing Editor
Chilton County Schools has received approval for additional e-learning days from the Alabama State Department of Education.
For these newly added e-learning days, teachers will be required to be on campus, but students will complete work off campus.
The added days include the following: Dec. 9, Jan. 27, March 1 and April 7.
This is in addition to e-learning days that had already been scheduled for the following: Nov. 23 and 24, Dec. 21 and 22, Feb. 15., March 22 and 23, April 23 and May 14. Teachers will not be on campus for these days but will be available for students.
More e-learning days were added amidst concerns about teacher burnout for those who have in-person and online students.
However, with the adding of more days that will require an internet connection to complete assignments, adequate access to high-speed internet has become a concern.
To help address this, the school system has announced several locations where Wi-Fi will be available in the parking lot on e-learning days.
- Any school with a bus on campus
- Chilton County Schools Transportation (Bus barn) on Alabama Highway 22
- Enterprise Grocery, 8587 County Rd 49, Verbena
- Lomax Assembly of God, 17580 US-31, Clanton
- Mount Carmel Church, County Road 5
- Mount Nebo Church, 264 County Road 30, Clanton
- Victory Chapel Church, 2665 County Road 81 (Lomax Drive), Clanton,
- Union Grove Church, 11501 County Road 51, Jemison
- 568 County Road 359, Maplesville
- 230 County Road 380, Isabella
At the Nov. 17 school board meeting, board President Pam Price asked Superintendent Jason Griffin if a teacher in each of the core subjects could be contracted with to handle the online students for 9-12 grades and run it out of PASS Academy. Griffin said the school system had posted job openings in October for such positions but had not received any good candidates.