Commission approves loan for land purchases
The Chilton County Commission agreed to loan $160,000 to the Chilton County Airport for the purchasing of land acquisitions.
The request for a resolution was made by Commissioner Allen Caton, who also said that the money loaned will come from the budget’s trade school account.
The loan will be paid back through grant money that the airport has been approved for but is just waiting for the money to come in.
According to Caton, properties have become vacant and are available at a good price.
A modular shade and playground area will be added at the Minooka Park campground following the Commission’s approval of $5,186 to be used toward both projects.
Sylvia Singleton’s two-year anniversary as county administrator will be Sept. 1, which prompted the Commission to enact a clause in her contract that gives her a 5% raise.
According to Commission chairman Joseph Parnell, the original contract Singleton signed was for four years and included a clause that makes her eligible for a raise if her work has been satisfactory after two years.
“You’re only as good as the people you surround yourself with,” Commissioner Steve Langston said.
According to Parnell, the county’s financials are the most complete that it has been since he joined the commission seven years ago.
“I don’t fear an audit at all,” Parnell said. “That is a good position to be in.”
In other news from the meeting:
- Eric Smitherman and Julie Hunter were hired as full-time corrections officers with the Sheriff’s Office.
- A final draft of the updated Chilton County policy and procedures manual has been completed. County attorney Roger Bates advised the Commission that a work session needs to be scheduled to discuss the manual once the budget is finalized.
- The Commission approved an update to the rate structure at Higgins Ferry Park. The change will go into effect at the start of the new fiscal year on Oct. 1. A similar update was approved for Minooka Park last year.
- A request by revenue commissioner Tim Little was approved for a line item transfer in the appraisal budget to purchase a vehicle for the tag office.
- It was approved that any unexpected funds from the 2019-2020 appraisal budget be carried over into the 2020-2021 appraisal budget.
- A final budget work session is scheduled for Sept. 1 at 5:30 p.m. at the county road department located at 272 Airport Lane.
- The next Commission meeting will be Sept. 8 with a work session at 5 p.m. and a voting session at 6 p.m. The meeting will be held at the county road department.