Advertiser earns 15 awards in annual Alabama Press Association contest
Published 2:45 pm Tuesday, May 21, 2019
From staff reports
The Clanton Advertiser has earned 15 awards in the statewide Alabama Press Association Media Awards contest.
Some of the winners were announced by the APA on May 17. According to the organization, 90 publications submitted 3,394 entries across the editorial, magazine and advertising sections of the contest. The Illinois Press Association judged the Alabama entries.
While winners have been announced in several categories, some of the highest honors will not be announced until APA’s Summer Convention in Orange Beach on June 29.
The Advertiser competes in Division B, which is the second-highest division comprised of small daily publications.
The Advertiser received the following awards:
– First place in the Best Spot News Story category for “Business owner, mother jailed for ordinance violation” by J.R. Tidwell
– First place in the Best Photo Essay category for “Good Old Days” by Keith McCoy
– First place in the Best Niche Publication – Newsprint or Glossy category for “Our heritage: Past, present, peaches” by staff
– Second place in the Best Humorous Column category for “Black Friday begins black and blue weekend” by J.R. Tidwell
– Second place in the Best Feature Photo category for “Senior Connection in Clanton hosts Chili cook-off” by Anthony Richards
– Second place in the Best Photo Essay category for “County fair” by Keith McCoy
– Third place in the Best Sports News In-Depth Coverage category for “Man vs. beast: Local teenager competes in junior rodeo events” by J.R. Tidwell
– Third place in the Best News Photo category for “En Fuego” by Keith McCoy
– Third place in the Best Headline category for “Pup and away: Chilton County Airport thanks Humane Society helpers” by J.R. Tidwell, Joyanna Love
– First place in the Best Individual Website category for Peach Living (peachlivingmagazine.com)
– Third place in the Best House Ad or Self-Promotion category for “Best of the best” contest in Peach Living by staff
– First place in the Best Single Ad over 1/2 page black and white for “City of Clanton” by staff
– First place in the Best One Time Special Section – Newsprint or Glossy for “Celebrate Chilton 150” by staff
– Third place in the Best Classified Page or Section category by staff
– Third place in the Best Regularly Scheduled Special Section Newsprint or Glossy for “Faces and Places” by staff