Maplesville Council names SRO
By JOYANNA LOVE/ Senior Staff Writer
Keith Crosby will be the Maplesville High School Resource Officer for next school year.
The Maplesville Town Council approved the arrangement during a meeting on
“He will be at the school full-time,” Town Clerk Dawn Smitherman said. “Right now, there is somebody different every day or every other day. They work there on their off days.”
Crosby is the assistant chief for the Maplesville Police Department.
Chilton County Schools will pay the town $41,000 toward the officer’s salary and benefits.
A work session will be held on May 20 to discuss the officer’s schedule for when school is not in session. A few possibilities will be presented for consideration.
The Council received an update on the final cost of the Mitchell Hill Road and Payne Lane paving projects. Smitherman said the Payne Lane project had been added to the existing repaving project since it would cost less than $15,000 and was not required to be bid out. The final cost for the combined projects was $434,003. The total was slightly higher than anticipated because of drainage issues that had to be addressed, but the additions had been approved by the Council when the need arose.
Also during the meeting, the Council unanimously approved:
- A 25 cents per hour raise for Maplesville police officer Jason Reeves for his six month job anniversary.
- A two-year reappointment of Municipal Court Judge Amanda Baxley.
- Declaring a garbage truck as surplus. The town will accept sealed bids on the vehicle with a minimum bid requirement of $5,000.
- A $1,000 donation to the Maplesville Fourth of July fireworks show and $400 towards the music. The funds were already in this year’s fiscal budget.
- A LogMeIn subscription, software to allow remote login, so that the town clerk can work from home if needed for medical reasons. The subscription cost is $349 a year.
- Nominating Frank Daniels for consideration by the State for the Chilton County Board of Equalization.