Commission approves Taser contract
Unreliable equipment can create problems in the workplace and can also be dangerous in certain departments, such as the Chilton County Sheriff’s Office.
With this in mind, the Chilton County Commission agreed to have chairman Allen Caton sign a five-year contract to go with Axon to supply Tasers for the department.
Taser is a brand name often associated with electroshock products and was originally created by the Axon company.
The Commission was also informed during the meeting that the Sheriff’s Office has received its new vests that had been approved in the past.
A half page horizontal ad was approved for placement in the August edition of Business Alabama magazine. In that magazine, Chilton County will be one of several counties featured.
“Anytime we can spotlight our county, I think we should,” Caton said.
The cost of the advertising will be $1,659. Commissioner Joe Headley opposed the decision.
Union Grove Volunteer Fire Department would like the Commission to pay for fans that were purchased during the primary election to provide relief from the heat for poll workers at the facility.
The request was tabled until more information could be gathered.
In other news from the meeting:
- The Commission heard a presentation from Bryan Beets of Colonial Life about employee insurance plans. Further discussion was tabled for a future work session.
- The road department was granted permission to declare a 1993 Rosco Maximizer distributor truck and a 1996 Badger 1085C excavator surplus and sold in auction.
- County Engineer Tony Wearren was approved a budget line item amendment of $9,300.
- The Commission accepted the resignation of Zack Headley as truck driver effective July 6. A resolution was then amended to advertise and hire two truck drivers instead of the previously stated one truck driver.
- Jessica Carter with Chilton County Transit received the approvals of her annual Fiscal Year 2019 applications and resolutions with the chairman’s signature required.
- The Commission also approved to advertise and hire a full-time driver with Chilton County Transit. The new driver will replace one who is retiring.
- Caton is in the process of getting prices and finding qualified people to do the remodeling in the office of the district attorney and 911.
- Clanton United Methodist Church was approved to use Higgins Ferry Pavilion for worship service every Sunday morning from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend from 7:45 a.m. to 9:15 a.m. Commissioner Joseph Parnell abstained from voting.
- Commissioner Jimmie Hardee was appointed to the ACCA Legislation Committee.
- After a 10-minute executive session the Commission approved to provide legal help for Derrick Bone, an investigator with the Sheriff’s Office.
- The Commission approved the minutes from the June 11 meeting.
- The Commission approved to pay its bills.