Second suspect still on the loose after shooting, manhunt

Published 11:38 am Monday, January 22, 2018


A Clanton shooting and ensuing manhunt on Jan. 20 resulted in the arrest of 23-year-old Willie Edward Reeves of Montgomery, one of two individuals suspected of attempted murder.

Reeves is charged with attempted murder, two counts of armed street robbery, assault in the first degree, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, unsafe lane change, reckless driving, reckless endangerment and attempting to elude law enforcement officers, according to jail records.

Reeves is in the custody of Chilton County Jail.

The second suspect has been identified as 22-year-old Andrekus Jawuan Wooley of Millbrook, although his most recent address is located in Wetumpka.

According to police, a caller reported a subject suffering a gunshot wound near Wade Street in Clanton around 9:15 p.m. on Jan. 20.

The 34-year-old male victim was located by officers and then treated on scene before he was airlifted to UAB Hospital, a Clanton Police Department press release revealed.

CPD acquired descriptions of the suspects and their vehicle, a white older Lexus, which was located shortly afterward by Deputy Warren Garris near Interstate 65, Exit 205. Garris attempted a traffic stop, but the vehicle fled and the pursuit commenced.

Reeves and Wooley exited the vehicle from a median near mile marker 196 in Autauga County.

“Several items of evidentiary value were located at the location of the vehicle, including a firearm consistent with the statements from witnesses,” the press release reads.

Reeves was arrested after “a short foot pursuit,” but Wooley escaped into the woods, according to police.

In response to the manhunt, various law enforcement agencies established a perimeter between County Roads 20 and 68, and were assisted by a team of tracking dogs from the Alabama Department of Corrections (DOC) and an ALEA FLIR-equipped helicopter.

The search concluded around 3 a.m. on Jan. 20, according to police, but restarted around 7:30 a.m. when a subject matching Wooley’s description was reported in the area.

“It was found that the subject had entered a vehicle located at a residence in the search area, and [had] hidden overnight,” the release reads. “Witnesses advised officers of the last known location, and K9 search was conducted by the DOC dog team.”

According to police, Wooley has not yet been apprehended. The dog team tracked his trek across U.S. Highway 31 and Autauga County Road 68. From there, officers learned a nearby resident gave the subject a ride to an address in Coosada.

“After checking several residences, the search was called off at approximately 1:30 p.m. [Jan. 21] after enough information had been obtained to positively identify the subject,” the release states.

Wooley is described as an African American male, 5 feet 9 inches tall and 180 pounds.

Anyone with further information regarding the location of the subject can contact Detective Cameron Bates of CPD at (205) 755-1194.

“We would like to say thanks to all the law enforcement agencies that assisted in this case,” a statement by CPD Captain David Clackley reads. “Such results would not have been possible without our combined efforts and resources. We ask for prayers for the families affected by this shooting.”