Portions of I-65 and Highway 22 to be repaved

Published 9:53 am Monday, March 27, 2017

By JOYANNA LOVE/ Senior Staff Writer

The Alabama Department of Transportation is set to begin paving projects on Interstate 65 and Highway 22.

The Highway 22 project will begin on March 28 and is expected to be completed this fall.

According to an ALDOT press release, “The Highway 22 project will start near milepost 58 and run through the end of milepost 64. The project will require intermittent lane closures starting March 28, weather permitting, with all work scheduled during daytime hours.”

ALDOT is asking drivers to be cautious in the work areas, expect delays and observe the work zone speed limits.

John McWilliams, ALDOT West Central Region Public Information Officer, said this is the section of Highway 22 that needed resurfacing the most. McWilliams said this is determined by the traffic volume and a section of road and when it had been paved last.

Funding is the determining factor for when a road project is begun.

The Interstate 65 project is scheduled to begin on April 3.

“Work will occur at Exit 208, where the northbound and southbound deceleration ramps will be widened. Work will also take place at milepost 205, near the 205 interchange and extend northward, just below the 212 interchange,” according to ALDOT’s press release.

McWilliams said lane widening will “give people a little more extra space to maneuver” and safely navigate the turns.

While McWilliams said the widening the lanes was not a major part of the project, he said “the public should definitely benefit from it.”

On April 9, this project will switch to a night schedule with work being done Sunday through Thursday from 7 p.m. until 6 a.m.  There will be intermittent lane closures, and the project is expected to be complete this winter.

“With any type of project there are going to be some delays, but hopefully when everything gets finished the public will appreciate the newly resurfaced roads and those widened lanes,” he said.

All expected completion dates are weather permitting.

The project is estimated to cost $3.8 million, 80 percent of this is federal funding. The remaining 20 percent is funded by the state.