Red Devils burn hot in homecoming game

Published 11:03 pm Friday, October 7, 2016

Miller (No. 33) leaps to catch a screen pass before fighting for yardage.(Photo by Steven Calhoun)

Miller (No. 33) leaps to catch a screen pass before fighting for yardage.(Photo by Steven Calhoun)


Verbena triumphed over Keith during the Red Devils’ homecoming game Friday night, with a final score of 40-28.

The game was off to a rough start, with neither team able to take advantage of their scoring opportunities during the first quarter.

The second quarter was a different story. The Red Devils opened the quarter with an interception by Juwan Tyus. The Devils did not capitalize on this drive, but soon recovered the ball.

With only 5:15 left in the half, Verbena blazed a trail to the end zone with key plays by Tyus and Anthony Miller. Miller scored the touchdown, followed by a successful PAT to put the Devils ahead by 7.

Then, lightning struck the same place twice: the Red Devils recovered two kickoffs back to back. On both drives, the scoring touches went to Tyus through the air. With 2:41 left in the half, Verbena lead 21-0.

Keith would not go down without a fight, though. The Bears pulled around the right side into the end zone, then scored the 2-point conversion with only 2:29 left in the half.

Keith kicked the ball back to the Devils, who went 3 and out, and then returned Verbena’s punt for another touchdown, ending the half at 21-16.

After the half, Verbena came out of the locker room locked and loaded. The team scored two unanswered touchdowns in the third quarter, with a majority of the runs going to Miller.

“We got our running game going a little bit in the second half,” said Coach Mike Harris. “Number 33 [Miller] can run the ball pretty well, and that made a lot of difference.”

Keith never fully recovered from the lead the Red Devils earned in the third quarter, but they hung in there. The Bears scored at the open of the fourth quarter, and then again with 3:46 left in the game on a deep pass play that went 70-yards, putting some pressure on at 34-28.

Verbena was unfazed, however, and went on a 2-minute drive with plenty of touches by Miller, resulting in a touchdown that only left Keith 1:28 to respond.

Keith couldn’t pull together a drive against Verbena’s defense, and the Red Devils took home the victory with a final score of 40-28.