FOOTBALL GAME OF THE WEEK: Fayetteville 32, Thorsby 26

Published 10:39 am Thursday, October 15, 2015

First quarter

An early interception thrown by Thorsby led to a Fayetteville touchdown, and then the visiting Wolves made it 14-0 when quarterback Bailey Deloach ran 90 yards with about 3 minutes left in the quarter.

Thorsby got on the scoreboard and cut the deficit to eight points moments later when quarterback Conner McRae ran 61 yards untouched. The point-after attempt was unsuccessful.

Thorsby’s Jon Davenport sacked Fayetteville’s quarterback to end the Wolves’ next drive, and the Rebels took over as the quarter came to a close.

Second quarter

McRae began an entertaining quarter by passing to Kevin Mims, who eluded a couple of defenders and ran for a 61-yard touchdown.

McRae ran in a two-point conversion to tie the game at 14-all.

Terrell Davis picked up a Fayetteville fumble and ran about 55 yards to inside the visitors’ 10-yard line.

On third-and-goal from the 4, Mims scored on a sweep right, and the Rebels took their first lead at 20-14.

Fayetteville found a groove running the football even though Thorsby’s defense was making disruptive plays.

The Wolves appeared to have scored on first-and-goal from Thorsby’s 5, but a holding penalty negated the play, and then another hold called on the visitors pushed them back to the 20-yard line.

However, Deloach rolled right and passed to Zacharie Allen for a touchdown with 2:45 remaining in the first half. The score was tied after a missed extra point.

THS drove deep into Fayetteville territory with time winding down in the half, but Chance Butts intercepted a Thorsby pass at the goal line, and the teams went into halftime tied at 20-all.

Third quarter

The two defenses made adjustments at halftime and held the offenses in check to start the second half, as the teams combined for just two first downs in the third quarter and those came on the final possession of the period. The first first down of the quarter came on a Mims run that followed a long McRae run that allowed the Rebels to overcome a fumbled snap and resulting loss of yards on the first play of the possession.

Fourth quarter

A THS drive that began in the third quarter carried over into the fourth, and the Rebels capped it off with a one-yard Mims run with 10:05 on the clock.

Having claimed momentum in the game, the Thorsby defense appeared to have stopped Fayetteville on a critical drive, but on fourth-and-12 from Thorsby’s 40-yard line, Deloach passed to Payton McKee, who hauled in the pass for a first down to extend the drive even though he was well covered.

Rhett Goins wound up running it in from the two.

With a chance to take a lead with an extra point, the snap was high, forcing the holder to try to run for the end zone, but he was tackled well short.

Thorsby couldn’t get anything going on its next drive, and Fayetteville’s Joshua Shell blocked the Thorsby punt and recovered it at the 17-yard line with 1:33 remaining in the game.

The THS defense held and forced a 34-yard field goal attempt, which was blocked by Thorsby’s Davenport to send the game into overtime.


Thorsby took the first possession and gained nine yards on its first two plays to set up third-and-goal from the 1-yard line, but a false start on the Rebels’ offensive line and then a fumbled snap pushed the hosts back to the six, and a last-ditch effort run by McRae came up short.

Fayetteville ran three consecutive times to cross the Thorsby goal line for the win, with the final run a 2-yard score by Dustin Ingram.