Walmart bomb threat caller arrested

Published 5:55 pm Tuesday, July 7, 2015

A suspect wanted for a traffic violation faces more serious charges after calling in a bomb threat Tuesday to Clanton Walmart.

Police said 22-year-old Tyler Blain Miller called in the bomb threat in hopes of pulling police away from the area of a residence where he was hiding so he could escape.



The bomb threat was made at 12:45 p.m., according to information provided by Clanton Police.

Clanton Police officers and E911 responded to the scene.

The store was evacuated as the facility was searched for explosive devices, and later cleared, according to a press release.

CPD launched an investigation in an effort to locate the caller. Detectives determined the origin of the phone calls and an approximate location of the caller.

Officers responded to a residence near Sylvia Street and Fourth Avenue North but could not make contact with any occupants of the residence, according to the release.

The homeowner was contacted and responded to the location to allow police to check the residence.

During the search, at 3:59 p.m., Miller surrendered to police without incident. The cell phone used to make the calls was also recovered, according to the release.

Police said that during the investigation, it was determined Miller noticed police in the area of the residence Tuesday morning and decided to call in the threat in hopes the officers would leave the area, so he could escape.

Police had been trying to locate Miller for a traffic warrant.

Miller has been placed in Chilton County Jail on charges of making terrorist threats, which is a Class C felony.

No bond had been set as of Tuesday evening.

The suspect is also being held liable for an hour’s worth of lost sales at the store, according to the release. The company is requesting restitution.

“We would like to commend all those who assisted in the evacuation and search of Walmart including CPD, [Chilton County Sheriff’s Office], [Clanton Fire Department] and the staff of Walmart,” Clanton Police Capt. David Clackley said in the release. “The safety of the customers and employees was our primary concern, and the situation was handled as it should have been.

“The investigation that followed was swift and effective thanks to the CPD Detective Division. We are thankful that this was a false alarm, but these type of incidents will not be tolerated or looked at as practical jokes.”