Stolen Clanton Police weapons recovered

Published 4:53 pm Monday, July 6, 2015

Weapons and other property stolen from a Clanton Police officer on July 2 were recovered over the weekend.

Donald Jason Giles (Contributed Photo)

Donald Jason Giles (Contributed Photo)

A CPD officer’s residence and police vehicle were burglarized between 4 a.m. and 8 a.m. July 2, according to information released by the department.

The suspect located the keys to the vehicle inside the residence, which was in the area of County Road 59 near Verbena Methodist Church, and was able to defeat the locking mechanisms that held the weapons in the vehicle.

The officer was not home at the time of the incident.

Several city-issued weapons were taken including a Rock River AR15 rifle, Mossberg 12-gauge shotgun, Glock Model 22 pistol and Taser X2.

On July 3, Donald Jason Giles and Misty Dawn Cleckler were taken into custody following a short vehicle pursuit by CPD officers.

Clanton Police Capt. Neil Fetner said Monday that the Chilton County Sheriff’s Department is the lead agency investigating the case due to the fact the crime was committed outside the city limits of Clanton, but Clanton Police assisted in the case.

Misty Dawn Cleckler (Contributed Photo)

Misty Dawn Cleckler (Contributed Photo)

Fetner said a tip to police around 11:30 p.m. July 3 that an individual had been trying to get rid of guns in the West End community led officers to locate a possible suspect vehicle.

“Once we located the vehicle we had been on the lookout for, officers were led on a short vehicle chase, and two individuals were taken into custody,” Fetner said.

At the time of the burglary, the weapons were locked in the police officer’s city vehicle.

Fetner confirmed that Giles knew the officer, but did not elaborate on the relationship between the two individuals.

Chilton County Sheriff John Shearon said on Monday that all of the firearms were recovered on July 4.

“That was our biggest concern because we did not want someone on the loose with firearms,” Shearon said. “We were able to recover everything on Saturday.”

The investigation is ongoing with the sheriff’s department, and charges of the individuals taken into custody had not been released as of Monday afternoon.