Tigers given rude welcome on Chelsea’s homecoming

Published 12:57 am Saturday, September 20, 2014

Nowhere to run: Chilton County’s Anthony Chavez is brought down by the Chelsea defense during Friday’s game.

Nowhere to run: Chilton County’s Anthony Chavez is brought down by the Chelsea defense during Friday’s game.

By Neal Embry | Special to the Advertiser

Chelsea coupled a strong defensive effort with a powerful running attack to deliver a 42-7 homecoming victory over the visiting Tigers of Chilton County on Friday night.

The Tigers got on the board first, with quarterback Anthony Chavez scoring on a keeper.

Chelsea answered quickly, opening with a 22-yard run from running back Zalon Reynolds.  On the next play, Chase Wilson tossed the ball to receiver Josh Pew, who took the pass 45 yards into the end zone to tie the game.

The strong running attack would continue on the Hornets’ next drive, as A.J. Jones ran around the end for a 31-yard run, setting up a first down inside the red zone as the first quarter ended.

On the first play in the second quarter, Tyler Blackburn ran the ball three yards to the right, waited patiently for a block, and then burst forward, breaking tackles on his way to the end zone for a 20-yard score, his first of two on the night.

Chilton County would not go quietly, though.  On the ensuing kickoff, the Tigers returned the ball to the Chelsea 47-yard line.  After failing to advance the ball on the first few downs, the Tigers chose to attempt a 4th and 13 conversion.  Chavez found his man 40 yards down field, setting up what appeared to be another touchdown.

But the Hornets defense stood their ground and held Chilton County to a field goal attempt.  Blackburn showed up again, blocking the field goal, leading the crowd at Richard Conkle Stadium to roar in applause.

After Chelsea threw an interception, Hornet Mason Moore picked off Chavez’s pass and took it 80 yards to the end zone to put Chelsea on top 21-7.

Chelsea would add to their lead one more time before halftime.  Reynolds, who ended the night with 123 yards on 13 carries, scored on a 50-yard run to put the Hornets up 28-7 at the break.

The last touchdown would come from Moore, who got a hand on the Chilton County punt, recovering the ball and scoring his second touchdown of the night.