Rebels grind out one-point win over Hatch

Published 10:22 pm Monday, September 15, 2014

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
Thorsby's defense stuffs R.C. Hatch's attempt at a 2-point conversion on the final play of Monday's game.

Thorsby’s defense stuffs R.C. Hatch’s attempt at a 2-point conversion on the final play of Monday’s game.

By Brandon Sumrall | Special to the Advertiser

Thunderstorms that postponed the game on Friday rolled through again on Monday night prior to Thorsby’s rescheduled match-up against the R.C. Hatch Bobcats.

Luckily for the Rebels, this time the rain rolled away, allowing them to come away with a hard fought 7-6 win.

The wet field made for slick conditions in the first half as both teams had a tough time handling of the ball.

The Rebels got the better end of the turnover battle thanks to back-to-back muffed punts by the Bobcats, the second of which was recovered by Dustin Shackelford and set up the Rebels with first-and-10 from the Bobcats’ 20-yard line.

A pass attempt by Conner McRae on fourth-and-10 from the 10-yard line was batted down by the Bobcat defense and the Rebels came away empty handed.

The Bobcats’ ensuing drive reached the Rebels’ 35 before a fourth-and-15 came up short of the first down.

A kneel by the Rebels brought the game to the half with both teams showing zeroes on the score board.

Both teams exchanged possessions to start the second half before the Rebels (2-2 overall, 1-1 region) finally found some offense on their second possession of the second half.

Set up with a first-and-10 from the Bobcats’ 23 thanks to a Noah Byrd interception, the Rebel offense took seven plays before McRae capped off the drive with a 2-yard touchdown run. With Tyler Owens’ point-after up and good, Thorsby took a 7-0 lead midway through the third quarter.

With 2:03 left in the fourth quarter, the Bobcats (2-2, 1-1) started a possession at the 41-yard line. Behind a punishing running game, the Bobcats pounded their way down to the Thorsby 6-yard line with just 3 seconds left to play.

Down to the last play of the game, Bobcats quarterback La’Darius Morrissette hand off to Quindon Shaw, who pushed his way into the end zone to draw the Bobcats to within one point of the Rebels with no time left on the clock.

Rather than kick and go for the tie, the Bobcats elected to line up for the 2-point conversion.

Morissette had no sooner taken the hand off than a host of Rebel defenders met him in the backfield to bring the game to an end.

“It was a little sloppy, but I will take a win any day of the week” Thorsby coach Billy Jackson said. “We told them before the ball game tonight that we have faced every kind of adversity that you can face. We have several guys out along the offensive line, and I told them before the game to just find a way. They played their guts out, and I just wanted to see them finish strong like they are capable of and they did tonight.”

McRae led the Rebels’ ground game with 39 yards on 17 carries. Kevin Owens had six tackles for the Thorsby defense, while Byrd had two interceptions.