Man barricades self but still arrested

Published 3:47 pm Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Clanton Police made an arrest at a residence off Friendship Road after the suspect barricaded himself in his home.

Clanton Police arrested a man late Monday night after a five-hour response that included the subject barricading himself inside his home.

Officers responded to Chilton Medical Center about 10:44 p.m. Monday on an assault call and determined the injuries were the result of domestic violence.


Police went to the residence, in the 100 block of Friendship Road, and the suspect, Logan Benson, retreated into the house and began barricading the doors.

“Apparently, Mr. Logan was threatening the officers, and they did exactly what they needed to do, which was secure the residence and call for our Emergency Service Team,” CPD Chief Brian Stilwell said.

Officers had contact with Benson–who was believed to be armed with a sword–through a cell phone and loud speaker. Once it was determined there was no one else inside the residence, police deployed tear gas to try to force Benson out.

There was no result after about an hour.

“We were concerned the suspect might have injured himself, so the CPD ESU team made entry to the house,” Stilwell said.

Benson was located and placed under arrest without further incident.

While in the home, CPD officers discovered Benson had barricaded interior rooms and was using clothing and a Teddy bear as a make shift gas mask. As a precaution, Benson was treated by CARE paramedics and at CMC.

Benson was charged with domestic violence, second degree; and resisting arrest. He is being held at Chilton County Jail. No bond had been set as of Tuesday afternoon.

“Situations like this is what the Clanton Police Department ESU officers train for, to be able to bring potential violent situations to a close without injury to the officers or the suspect,” CPD Capt. David Clackley said.

Chilton County Sheriff’s Office deputies assisted with the call, which ended about 3:44 a.m. Tuesday.