Three arrested after foot chase

Published 3:23 pm Thursday, March 8, 2012

Sixty pre-packaged bags of what is believed to be marijuana were recovered after a foot chase Thursday morning in Clanton. (SPECIAL / CLANTON PD)

Three Clanton men were arrested Thursday morning after a foot chase in Clanton.

Daniel Bailey Jr., Douglas Simon and Justin Cornelius Kine were all arrested at about 10:30 a.m. on various charges.

The pursuit started after Clanton Police Department detectives learned Bailey, who was wanted by the Chilton County Sheriff’s Office on burglary and robbery charges, was in the area of Smith Street.

CPD detectives responded to the area and notified CCSO investigators. When they got on the scene, all three men took off on foot.

“Upon our arrival, the three subjects all took off running,” Capt. David Clackley said.

Given its proximity to the area, the E.M. Henry Headstart in West End was put into lockdown.

“We had officers and detectives respond to E.M. Henry and make sure everyone was safe while we were looking for potentially armed suspects,” CPD Chief Brian Stilwell said. “The students at E.M. Henry were not in danger, and the school reacted as they should and in a very professional manner.”

Kine was arrested in E.M. Henry Park and later charged with first-degree possession of marijuana and attempting to elude. He was given a bond of $5,700 but is a probation violation hold, Clackley said.

When arrested, Kine was found with 60 pre-packaged bags of what is believed to be marijuana ready for sale, Clackley said.

Simon was found at the park too and arrested on outstanding warrants stemming from a distribution of a controlled substance charge. He was also charged with attempting to elude and given a bond of $10,750.

Bailey was arrested on 15th Place and turned over to CCSO investigators on their robbery and burglary charges. Clanton Police will also file additional charges of disorderly conduct and attempting to elude.

Kine and Simon are not believed to be involved in the county’s robbery case, Stilwell said.

“We believe they just took off running when police got in the area,” Stilwell said. “We were glad to help CCSO get Mr. Bailey in custody and appreciate the cooperation between both agencies to get all three of these individuals off our streets.”