Jeff State evacuated after gas leak

Published 9:45 pm Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Jefferson State Community College’s Clanton campus was evacuated Wednesday night because of a gas leak.

Students and instructors inside the building exited about 7:30 p.m. because of a strong smell of gas.

Emergency personnel, including the Clanton Fire Department, identified the leak as coming from a large gas heater whose pilot light had gone out. The gas supply was shut off. Clanton Fire ended their call around 8:15 p.m.

Wednesday night classes were canceled, but the college will reopen Thursday morning.