Rain can’t ruin racing at CAMS
Published 6:06 pm Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Rain fell just after the gates were opened Saturday night at Central Alabama Motor Speedway.
Trucks pulling the race cars were lined up from pit road back down to County Road 28, filling the Hitching Post parking lot on Highway 22.
Suzanne Hutchison said she has been involved in dirt track racing for more than 15 years and has never seen cars and trucks being pulled from being stuck in the mud into a dirt track—usually they are being pulled out.
After a two-hour rain delay, the big event of the evening was the Hutch Construction Super Ponies class.
Starting in the pole position for the feature event was P.J. Williams, No. 20 of Pelham, and front row outside was Jeremy Edwards, No. 57 of Sylacauga.
At the fall of the green flag, Edwards took command of the race, and he held off the entire field throughout the event.
On Edwards’ bumper was Williams, waiting for Edwards to make a mistake that never happened. Williams tried numerous times to make the pass but was never able to take the lead.
When the checkered flag came out, Edwards was the first-place winner, taking home the double purse, with Williams second and Curt Oaks, No. 14 of Maylene with the third-place finish.
Racing returns to Central Alabama Motor Speedway on Saturday. Because of the rainout for Memorial Day weekend, CAMS will feature three divisions for double purse: Thunder Cars, Hobby Cars and Buzz Cars.
Each of these divisions will have to have 10 or more cars in the division to receive the double purse. All three of the divisions will receive double points.
All the regular divisions will be guaranteed regular purse and points.
The Little Speeders, ages 9 to 12 years old, will take track during intermission, and the top three will receive a trophy and purse.
Gates open at 5 p.m. For the latest information, gate times, admissions and upcoming events, visit www.camspeedway.com or call the race hotline at: (205) 351-1044.
June 5 results
Barber Motorsports Crate Late Model/Sportsman
1) J.R. Cobb, No. 12, Tallassee; 2) Mike Fields, No. 0, Calera; 3) Randy Adams, No. 777, Fort Deposit; 4) Aaron Smith, No. 41, Clanton; 5) Jimmy Dean, No. 45, Alabaster; 6) Virgil Taylor, No. 44, Clanton
Buddha’s Screen Printing Thunder Cars
1) Josh Bean, No. 8, Maplesville; 2) Tommy Payton, No. 14, Calera; 3) Cody Browning, No. 11, Pelham; 4) William Smith, No. 92, Sandy Ridge; 5) Justin Massey, No. 72, Tuscaloosa; (DNS) Roger Underwood, No. 36, Montevallo
L&L Forklift Hobby Cars
1) Daniel Lutz, No. 1, Montevallo; 2) Greg Dean, No. 15, Montevallo; 3) CR, No. 64, Valley Grand, AL 4) Jake Wilson, No. 44, Clanton; 5) Colton Miller, No. 19, Birmingham; 6) Shain Miller, No. 21, Montevallo; 7) Tommy Bolton, No. 13, Springville; 8) Brandon Wells, No. 55, Columbiana; 9) J.R. Brown, No. 12, Calera; (DNS) Wade Carlee, No. 48, McCalla
Chico’s Detail Shop Street Stocks
1) Derrick Price, No. 42, Clanton; 2) Mike Garris, No. 03, Clanton; 3) Scott Collen, No. Lowndesboro; 4) David Griffith, No. 57, Sylacauga; 5) Mark Price, No. 02, Clanton; 6) Alan Banks, No. 17, Gordo; 7) Chris Howell, No. 1, Columbiana
Hutch Construction Super Ponies
1) Jeremy Edwards, No. 57, Clanton; 2) P.J. Williams, No. 20, Pelham; 3) Curt Oaks, No. 14, Mayelene; 4) Eddie Woods, No. 17, Calera; 5) Benny Pickett, No. 4, Montevallo; 6) Bo Minor, No. 1, Tuscaloosa; 7) Mike Rominger, No. 7m, Brierfield; 8) Brian Hurst, No. 46, Calera; 9) Eddie Pickett, No. 44, Montevallo, AL 10) William Moore, No. 15, Shelby; 11) Wesley Booth, No. 87, Montevallo; 12) Mike Minor, No. 2, Tuscaloosa; 13) Don Moncrief, No. 88, Alabaster; 14) Heath Minor, No. 21, Tuscaloosa; 15) Darrell Goins, No. 007, Tuscaloosa; 16) Kevin Crocker, No. 0, Centerville
Eagles Auto Sales Buzz Car/Pure Ponies
1) Lisa Woods, No. 18, Calera; 2) Derek White, No. 8, Highland Home; 3) Jimmy Massey, No. 10, Alabaster; 4) Toby Pace, No. 00, Grady; 5) Ray Perry, No. 7, Centerville; 6) Jeremy Forsythe, No. 02, Odenville, AL 7) Terry Merritt, No. 5, Slapout; 8) Barbara Bright, No. 97, Centerville; 9) Jordan Wilkins, No. 6, Maplesville; (DNS) Terry Partridge, No. 07, Shelby
1) Chris Fowler, No. 26, Sylacauga; 2) Al “Big Al” Barrett, No. 63, Jemison; 3) David Davis, No. 00, Vandiver
Pro Trans—Custom Hydro Coatings and Byron’s Towing Little Speeders (4- to 8-year-olds)
1) Lane Milford, Jemison; 2) Dawson Davis, Vandiver, 3) Andrew Milford, Jemison; 4) Jonathan Payton, Calera; 5) Lane Smith.