Fire destroys home on Mae Street

Published 1:37 pm Monday, April 26, 2010

An early morning house fire destroyed a home in Clanton on Monday.

The blaze destroyed a one-story, single family home on Mae Street. Clanton Fire Department was dispatched to the home around 5:42 a.m.

“When we got there, it was already falling in on one side and burning out at the top,” said Fire Chief David Driver.

The fire department extinguished the fire with 20-25 minutes. The cause of the fire appears to be electrical, Driver said. While a couple of rooms are still standing, almost nothing in the home is salvageable, Driver said.

The residence was the home of Steven and Holly Penley and their two daughters, ages 4 years and 4 months.

Steven Penley said he had fallen asleep on the sofa in the living room the night before. He got up about 3 a.m. but decided to stay in the living room.

Penley was later awakened by the smell of smoke, and as he was waking up, the smoke alarm began to sound. He jumped off the sofa and ran to wake up his wife and two daughters.

At this point, Penley said the carport and roof were already on fire. The fire had apparently started on the same side of the house where he was sleeping.

“There was nothing to do then but just grab babies and run,” he said.

Fortunately, no one was injured in the blaze.

Penley advises all residents to regularly check their smoke alarms.

“You think it’s not going to happen to you,” he said. “But it was just so quick.”

The family’s home church, Lomax Assembly of God, is accepting donations for the family. The main items requested are gift cards.

Pastor Jeff Calhoun said an offering would be taken up Sunday.

“This is an incredible family,” Calhoun said. “Due to their faith in God, they will overcome this tragedy.”

All donations may be sent to Lomax Assembly of God, P.O. Box 1528, Clanton, AL 35046. For more information, contact the church at 755-9587 or the family at 755-7823.

The family expressed appreciation to all who have donated.

Clanton Fire and Police continue to investigate the blaze.