Wells takes checkers, track bonus
Cooler evening weather did not hold back fans and drivers from having a great family outing with hot dirt track racing on Saturday at Central Alabama Motor Speedway.
Earlier in the week, the track owner announced he would give a $100 bonus to the feature winner from each division that had 10 or more cars.The L&L Forklift Hobby Car Division drivers arrived in force. After two heat races, the field was locked in with 10 cars.
At the drop of the green flag for the feature event, the caution flag was brought out for Robert Lucas, No. 44 of Montevallo, and his car had to be picked up by the wrecker and taken back to his pit area.This would cause a complete restart of the event.
A second caution came again for Stanley Roper, No. 14 of Montgomery, that took him out of the event. Again, the fans witnessed a complete restart. This time, Daniel Lutz, No. 1 of Montevallo, and Brandon Wells, No. 55 of Columbiana, moved up to the front row.
At the end of the first lap, it was Wells in first place, Lutz dropping back to the third spot with Derrick Price, No. 97 of Clanton, taking the second-place position.Wells was white knuckle throughout the event, holding Price off from the first-place spot.After the first lap, there were only two additional cautions.
When the checkered flag came out, first place was Wells, taking home the guaranteed purse along with the $100 track manager bonus to the feature winner. Second place went to Price, and third place went to Brandon Till, No. 20 of Clanton.This was Wells first win ever.
Action will return to Central Alabama Motor Speedway April 17. Gates open at 5 p.m.For the latest information about upcoming events and admissions, visit camspeedway.com or call the race hot line at: (205) 351-1044.
April 10 results
Barber Motorsports Crate Late Model/Sportsman
1) Billy Franklin, No. 17, Alabaster; 2) Aaron Smith, No. 41, Clanton; 3) Mike Fields, No. 0, Calera; 4) Jarred Watson, No. 42, Andalusia; 5) Lee Mason, No. 34, Wetumpka; 6) Eric Bruner, No. Z11, Tallassee; 7) Randy Adams, No. 777, Greenville
Buddha’s Screen Printing Thunder Cars
1) William Smith, No. 92, Sandy Ridge; 2) Scott Swanson, No. 89, Valley Grande; 3) Justin Massey, No. 72, Tuscaloosa; 4) Wayne Lucas, No. 06, Brantleyville
L&L Forklift Hobby Cars
1) Brandon Wells, No. 55, Columbiana; 2) Derrick Price, No. 97, Clanton; 3) Brandon Till, No. 20, Clanton; 4) Daniel Lutz, No. 1, Montevallo; 5) Roger Underwood, No. 6, Montevallo; 6) David Hatchett, No. 7H, Columbiana; 7) Robert Lucas, No. 44, Montevallo; 8) Stanley Roper, No. 14, Montgomery; (DNS) Allen Banks, No. 17, Gordo; (DNS) CR, No. 64, Valley Grande
Chico’s Detail Shop Street Stocks
1) Bo Kemsel, No. 911, Montgomery; 2) Jessie Cunningham, No. 66, Clanton; 3) Don Coker, No. 50, Lownsesdoro
1) Eddie Pickett, No. 44, Montevallo; 2) Wesley Boothe, No. 87, Montevallo; 3) Don Moncrief, No. 88, Alabaster; 4) Daniel Kelly, No. 28, Columbiana; 5) Mike Rominger, No. 7m, Brierfield; 6) Todd Riddle, No. 38, Maylene; 7) Eddie Woods, No. 17, Calera; 8) Curt Oaks, No. 14, Montevallo; (DNS) Benny Pickett, No. 4, Montevallo
Eagles Auto Sales Buzz Car/Pure Ponies
1) Patrick Wallace, No. 34, Trussville; 2) Terry Merritt, No. 5, Slapout; 3) Jimmy Hudson, No. 26, Pleasant Grove; 4) Ray Perry, No. 7, Centerville; 5) Jay Mason, No. 34, Slapout; 6) Barbara Bright, No. Centerville; 7) Charles Bright, No. 97, Centerville