Employer helps family

Published 12:00 pm Thursday, December 24, 2009

The employer of a woman who lost her home in a fire Tuesday is accepting donations for the family.

Shamonica Roberts worked at Shelby Ridge Nursing Home and Rehab Select in Alabaster. The company is accepting items including clothing, toys, and furniture, said Colleen Trager.

“They lost everything,” said Trager, who works in Shelby Ridge’s human resources and payroll department. “They have nothing.”

Roberts lived in the home with her husband, Antwain, and two children, a 9-year-old girl and a 6-year-old boy.

The Roberts’ home burned Tuesday morning at Martin Court off Enterprise Road in Clanton. It’s not clear what started the blaze, but it appears to be an accident around a clothes dryer, according to Fire Chief David Driver.

The Roberts have being staying in a hotel at their on expense, while seeking help from the American Red Cross and other organizations.

Shamonica Roberts can be reached by phone at 205-389-7329.

Shelby Ridge staff can be reached by calling 205-620-8500.