Hughes wins 2nd race in a row
Published 10:26 pm Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Sam Hughes of Pelham on Nov. 14 won his second race in a row at the new Central Alabama Motor Speedway.
After the rains ended on Nov. 11, the pits at CAMS were underwater, and it appeared unlikely the Saturday events would be possible. But after hard work from the dedicated staff, the pits were cleaned up and readied.
The feature event of the evening was the Crate Late Model Division. After two heat races for this division, the lineup was complete with a full field of cars.
Lee Burdett, No. B97, of Hueytown started on the pole, and right across from him on the outside was J.R. Cobb, No. 12, of Tallassee.
When the green flag came out to start the race, Burdett drove hard to try to keep the first-place position. It would be Burdett and Cobb for seven laps driving side by side.
On Lap 8, Burdett dropped back to the second-place position, but Cobb’s time in first would be short-lived.
On Lap 11, Sam Hughes, No. 35, of Pelham worked his way from third place to take the lead. Hughes led the way for the remainder of this 20-lap event.
When the checkered flag came out, Hughes took home the first-place winnings, Mike Fields, No. 0, of Calera second place and Cobb third place.
Racing action returns to Central Alabama Motor Speedway on Saturday, Nov. 21. The celebration of the reopening of the facility will include racing in all divisions. Gates open at 1 p.m.
For the latest information and upcoming events, visit www.camspeedway.com. The site also has the latest 2009 feature winners photos and the most up-to-date race information.
Nov. 14 results
Crate Late Model
1) Sam Hughes, No. 35, Pelham; 2) Mike Fields, No. 0, Calera; 3) J.R. Cobb, No. 12, Tallassee; 4) Lee Burdett, No. B97, Hueytown; 5) Tony Epperson, No. 44, Jemison
1) Josh Bean, No. 8, Maplesville; 2) Johnny Dawson, No. 42, Montevallo; 3) John Michael, No. 294, Auburn; 4) Scott Swanson, No. 89 5) C.R., No. 64, Valley Grand
1) Sandy Dawson, No. 88 Montevallo; 2) David Bartlee, No. 55; 3) Bob Sapp, No. 18, Montevallo; 4) Darrell Sessions, No. 1; 5) Brad Underwood, No. 7, Clanton
1) Brett Anderson, No. 77, McCalla; 2) Chris Howell, No. 1, Columbiana; 3) Greg Wilkins, No. 01, Clanton; 4) Roger Underwood, No. 6, Montevallo; 5) Bryan Smith, No. 30, Pell City
1) Benny Pickett, No. 4, Montevallo; 2) Don Moncreif, No. 88;abaster; 3) Greg Dean, No. 22, Montevallo; 4) Todd Riddle, No. 38, Maylene; 5) No. 46
1) Bobby Pike, No. 4, Pelham; 2) Eddie Woods, No. 17, Calera; 3) No. 13, 4) Terry Merritt, No. 5, Deatsville; 5) Lisa Woods, No. 18, Calera