Shooting injures two

Published 7:49 pm Monday, June 8, 2009

An argument early Saturday morning led to a shooting, sending two Jemison men to area hospitals and landing four others in jail.

Bert Raysean Frazier, 25, and Mystafha Daniel Augustin, 23, both of Jemison, received non-life threatening injuries after being shot around 3 a.m. Saturday at a Dixon Circle residence.

According to Jemison authorities, the shooting happened after an incident involving two juveniles, one 16 and the other 17, and at least one of the two shooting victims. According to a department release, the two juveniles drove to Clanton, picked up two adult males, one of which had a handgun, and then drove back to Dixon Circle where the two victims were standing in the front yard.

One of the adult males stepped out of the car and fired three shots, striking both victims. The third shot struck the outside of the home.

Frazier was transported to Shelby Baptist, while Augustin was transported to UAB for treatment.

“We had tremendous support from a number of county law enforcement agencies, especially Clanton, and within two hours had the four men in custody,” Jemison Chief of Police Shane Fulmer said.

All four of the suspects were taken into custody by Jemison authorities, with the support of the Clanton Police Department, in the West End community.

The two adults arrested were Rashee Tremayne McCoy, 19, and Ades Jamel Beard, 20, both of Clanton.

A Monday afternoon hearing ruled the two juveniles in the case would be charged as adults. Jamal Lashad Johnson, 17, and Je’rel Rahem Jones, 16, were both charged as adults and placed in the Chilton County Jail.

All four individuals have been charged with first-degree assault with a deadly weapon and shooting into an occupied dwelling.

“This obviously could have been a very different and tragic outcome,” Fulmer said. “We are fortunate that it wasn’t.

“We received a tremendous amount of assistance from outside agencies from responding to the call, working the scene and making the arrest,” he added. “I thank all of the officers involved and express a job well done.”