Man survives motor home blaze

Published 1:06 pm Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A motor home fire at the 204-mile marker of I-65 momentarily shut down the interstate around noon Tuesday.

Clanton and Verbena fire departments responded to the scene. Emergency workers reported the motor home was engulfed in flames when they arrived.

The motor home appeared to be a total loss, but the driver and his cat survived the fire.

The driver of the motor home was transported to the hospital due to breathing in some smoke, but the man didn’t have life-threatening injuries.

According to Clanton fire officials on the scene, the fire apparently was caused by sparking from the rear brakes.

The driver saw the smoke, pulled over and got out of the vehicle before the trailer was consumed by the fire.

All lanes of I-65 were reopened about an hour after the incident began.

At least two other structure fires were reported in the county Tuesday.

North Chilton and West Chilton fire departments responded to a house fire in the northwestern end of the county around 7 a.m. on County Road 773.

At 9 a.m., Union Grove and Gap of the Mountain fire departments responded to a trailer fire on County Road 641.