Green named county attorney
The Chilton County Commission named Fletcher Green to the position of county attorney during its meeting on July 10.
The decision came following an extensive search and interview process that included multiple candidates.
“We had a very good response,” Commission chairman Allen Caton said.
Green is based in Clanton with his office located at 610 2nd Ave. N.
The decision to hire Green was a unanimous vote among the Commissioners present. Jimmie Hardee, Greg Moore and County Engineer Tony Wearren were absent for the meeting.
It was also agreed upon that attorney Robert Spence would be retained for next six months to help advise and act as a sounding board for Green as he encounters the differences in county law.
Perry Brasfield with Revenue Discovery Systems also came before the Commission and presented each of them with a fee comparison report.
According to Brasfield, RDS currently handles the taxes for 43 of the 67 counties in Alabama.
At the moment, RDS handles all the taxes for Chilton County except for its lodging tax.
The report will be looked over by the Commissioners and will be discussed further at the next work session on July 17.
The current status of the county budget will also be looked over at the upcoming work session.
In other news from the meeting, the Commission:
- Held a public hearing and approved the alcohol license application for SN Inc., doing business as Sunshine Food.
- Granted permission for county tax collector Tim Little to advertise to hire for a full-time position, as a clerk resigned from the position effective July 14. The position will be posted for 14 days.
- Approved permission to pave County Road 59 from State Road 22 to U.S. 31 (1.1 miles) with the money coming from the building, road and bridge fund.
- Changed the minutes from the June 26 meeting to read eight voting books instead of polling machines and then voted to resend the previous meeting’s approval based on finding out that more than one company made the voting books. They will explore those options further.
- Approved to update the Commission’s credit card usage procedures to keep the card in the Commission office at all times.
- Bobby Agee was appointed to the Sheriff’s Merit Board.
- Mental Health Board nominations were closed.
- Approved the minutes and to pay the bills from the June 26 meeting.