New bridge approved for CR 822
Published 4:52 pm Wednesday, June 14, 2017
A bridge replacement was approved along County Road 822 during the Chilton County Commission’s meeting on June 12.
The project is estimated to cost $100,000 and will use funds from the building, road and bridge account.
According to County Engineer Tony Wearren, construction is tentatively set to begin in August and will take about four weeks to complete.
Included in Monday’s public comments were Stacey Smith and Donald Frazier.
Smith spoke to the Commission about the drainage problems that he is dealing with at his property on County Road 484.
According to Smith, he has lived at the same place for 23 years and never had a drainage problem until recently. He questioned why the drainage drain in question was moved not long ago.
It was noted that Commissioner Jimmie Hardee had visited the site and looked at the problem on June 2.
Chairman Allen Caton advised Smith that he would meet with Wearren and will investigate the situation.
Frazier discussed speeding, handicap and “no thru trucks” signs at the east end of his property located on County Road 410.
Frazier mentioned a handicap zone sign along the road in front of his property that had been stolen.
“There is no such thing as a law for a ‘handicap zone,’” Caton said. “If the sign stays up, it would have to change.”
Caton acknowledged the speeding that takes place along County Road 410 and that there have been more than a few deaths over the years.
He stated that Sheriff John Shearon is looking into the matter.
In other news from the meeting, the Commission:
- Granted the desired alcohol license application for Dollar General in Verbena. Commissioner Hardee voted no.
- Approved continued support of the Chilton County Corrections program.
- Approved the hiring of Ryan Brice from a part time to full time corrections officer. He is filling a position left by a resigning officer and his hourly rate will be $12.56.
- Approved the hiring of Adam Simmons for a part time position with the Sheriff’s Department. His hourly rate will be $10 per hour.
- Accepted a resolution brought by the Chilton Industrial Board about a rebate for Adient amendment 772. The Clanton City Council accepted the resolution at its meeting earlier in the night.
- Renewed the contract for Veterans Post No. 6 as a voting place for one year.
- Approved a resolution brought up by Hardee to place speed bumps at Lake Mitchell Park on County Road 28 right before the river.
- Approved a resolution by Commissioner Joseph Parnell to standardize the hiring process for jobs within the Commission office.
- Approved temporary hire of Britton Powell as per discussion in the work session on June 5.
- Approved Rhonda Headley as a part time driver as discussed in the work session on June 5.
- Approved a software contract with Ingenuity for the probate office.
- Opened nominations for the Cawaco Resource Conservation & Development Council Board. Shannon Welch has been nominated.
- The Sheriff and the Commission agreed to nominate Bobby Agee to the merit board. The nominations will remain open.
- Approved the minutes and to pay the bills from the May 22 meeting.