A fire at a residence off Franklin Street in Thorsby on Sunday resulted in a family losing its home and most of its belongings.
A fire at a residence off Franklin Street in Thorsby on Sunday resulted in a family losing its home and most of its belongings.

Archived Story

Thorsby family loses home to fire

Published 10:29am Monday, July 15, 2013

A Thorsby family lost its home to a fire on Sunday.

Thorsby Fire Department responded to a structure fire about 4:30 p.m. Sunday at a residence on Franklin Street.

TFD Chief Lee Gunn said the structure was “well-involved” when firefighters arrived.

“No one was hurt,” Gunn said. “The residents had run to the store, got back and saw that it was on fire.”

The blaze appeared to have been caused by an electrical problem, Gunn said.

Most of the family’s belongings were lost in the fire, Gunn said and added that town officials helped contact the American Red Cross, which is providing the family with temporary housing and clothing.

“That’s why people should support the Red Cross,” Gunn said. “They’re really good about helping in these situations.”

Print Friendly

Editor's Picks

Verbena football title trophy found, to be returned to school

“We’re excited about getting that trophy back to the school," Verbena Principal Kelvin Boulware said. Read more

Fair may have found a temporary home at Clanton City Park

Fair organizers moved the event away from its long-time location when it became a safety hazard for the adjacent Chilton County Airport. Read more