Woman dies from burns suffered in fire at her home (updated)By Staff Reports Published 5:58pm Saturday, April 27, 2013
A Clanton resident suffered severe burns during a residential fire shortly after midnight Saturday that also produced several loud explosions.
Firefighters responded to 12th Street South in Clanton at about 12:15 a.m. Saturday and heard the explosions while battling the fire, according to information provided by Clanton’s fire and police departments.
Lorna Wright, 61, who lived at the residence was found just outside near a door to the house. Wright was transported to UAB by helicopter but died later Saturday afternoon, according to Clanton Fire Chief David Driver.
“This was a very tragic accident and our thoughts and prayers are with the family of the victim,” Driver said in a press release.
While examining the scene, several oxygen bottles were located near the believed source of the fire as well as two bottles that ruptured from the heat, Clanton Police Capt. David Clackley said in a release.
“We believe that these ruptured bottles were the source of the explosions heard,” he said. “While in transit by ambulance to the landing zone, [the victim] advised medics that she had taken her oxygen off to smoke a cigarette and the fire began.”
Firefighters extinguished the blaze in about 20 minutes, according to Driver, but the home was a total loss. Personnel remained on the scene until 2:45 a.m.
The Clanton Police Department and the Alabama Fire Marshal’s Office investigated the fire and determined it to be accidental, Driver said.