Archived Story

Residents escape fire with no injuries

Published 8:15pm Thursday, October 11, 2012

Gary and Sandra Smitherman (above) inspect the damage to a home they own off County Road 24 near the intersection with Enterprise Road by a fire at about 12:45 p.m. Thursday.

Much of the home received at least smoke damage.

No one was hurt in the blaze, though Arline Davenport and her nephew Joey Davenport were home at the time.

“I got out the minute I saw the smoke,” Arline Davenport said. “Nobody was hurt; that’s a blessing.”

Michael Anthony Wilkins, a neighbor, saw the smoke from across 24 and tried to help extinguish the fire.

“If it hadn’t been for him, there wouldn’t be anything left,” Arline Davenport said.

Print Friendly

Editor's Picks

Tree, marker memorialize late Chamber director Robertson

"He was a very, very special man," Mary Mell Smith said. Read more